Who We Are
The Rev. Henry Niles Pierce
1st Rector of St. Peter's 1848-1852
An awareness of parish history and how we connect to Brenham, TX
St. Peter's was established in 1848. It was one of the founding parishes of the Diocese of Texas, which as established in 1849.
The first and second church buildings were located in downtown Brenham. The current church and classroom buildings were completed in 1965 on property that at that time was on the outskirts of the city. The area has now blossomed to be a center of retail development. The pews, altar and furnishings were moved from the old church to the new one and new items were built to match the older pieces.
The "new" parish hall was completed in 1986. the Columbarium Garden was established in 2004 and in 2017 was re-landscaped to make it a peaceful place of meditation. The house (St. Pete's Place) at the corner of Day St. and Hillcrest was purchased in 2005 to provide a place for the youth and other groups to meet and to give a presence of St. Peter's on the busy street.
St. Peter's has had a number of rectors in its long history - 18 to be exact! Rev. S. Moylen Byrd served a record tenure of 40 years. During its long history, St. Peter's has served as a gathering place for many community events. Even at the turn of the 20th century, it helped organize the Old Settler's Fiddler Contests. Currently, it is home to AA and Al-Anon groups, Girl Scout troups, Brenham TX Leadership Academy (BTXLA) after-school program, Kindermusik for babies and toddlers and Diocesan meetings.